Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Things I'm trying to forget

Forgetting by David Gray on Grooveshark
"I feel like my English skills are going backwards in your class. Last year I had Malouf and you have a lot in common to him but I feel like he taught me more."

I read 126 letters singing my praises. But I always dwell on the negative one.

I tell Cy he's smart, and tell Bo he's funny, and tell Brooklyn she's pretty.

But all Cy thinks about is why he's not funny. And Bo thinks about why he's not smart. And Brooklyn wonders why she can't be anything but pretty.

We are never happy. 

No matter how many times we try to convince ourselves that this is the purpose of life. We move around the furniture and look under rocks trying to find it. But we're not actually looking.

I keep telling myself to ignore the noise and focus on the positive. I tell my kids to do the same thing. But we all keep forgetting.

Here's to the strings around our fingers.




4 comments:

  1. I keep thinking I've thought every thought in the world, but with every post from you I'm left thinking.. And that's the only kind of writing I even wanna read anymore.

    (I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but it's a compliment. Everyone I know worships you for the right reasons and someday I'd like to change as many lives as you have.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We move around the furniture and look under rocks trying to find it."

    I have nothing else to say that Phyllis didn't already say...

    You are a brilliant writer and human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing. Yep Phyllis basically said it all. But, just keep writing. You are truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if there is a post of yours that I haven't commented on yet?

    Sorry about the stalking, "here's to the strings around our fingers."

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts