Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2016

sunday poems


i'm sick of sharing old stuff / 2016 stuff / I'm 36 and I still have things to say
games to play / I've been telling you how to write for 8 years, so what

Holler if ya hear me / I'm just stealing Tupac lines / I can't write to this music

I check e-mail and Twitter so I don't have to write / this is too hard

How to write if you're not inspired / just write / I played basketball tonight
I have nothing to say / nothing to say / nothing to say

a new song / let's start over

My daughter lies / My daughter cries / My daughter lies / My daughter sighs
omigosh what am i even saying, I give up.

I haven't eaten all day and it ain't even fast sunday

This is an anti-slam poem.

Look, I just want my English credit. So shut up and give it to me.
Talk with your hands
Do the Helen Keller
QUIT QUOTING SONGS don't you have anything to say?

Maybe I've already written about everything.
The moons and the stars
the birds and the bees
what else is there to say that hasn't already been said
by Shakespeare and Mojgani

I've written more midnight poems than anyone in this room
come at me bro

The longer you're here, the more this place feels like the M.T.C.
You'd rather I teach you Spanish instead of English
Scriptures instead of poetry
You want to listen to the spirit, not your heart
I'm done listening to Lamanite poetry.

I'm not asking you to break any commandments,
I just want you to fall in love.
Have one last fling before your plane leaves
I want you to hold hands with adjectives
and send late night texts to that nice metaphor you've been eyeing from across the room
that provocative title you wrote on page 29 of your notebook
it's not too late to be voted cutest couple.

It's not too late, it's not too late

I'm listening to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata right now and I'm telling you it's not too late

Call me blasphemous
Tell me we should be reviewing MLA format
How to write an essay
How to write an essay
Call me blasphemous,
but this is your last chance to fall in love with language.

She won't find you at 22 because you won't be looking.

She won't wait for 28 because you'll be married with two kids and there's no poetry in children.
There's no poetry in children.

Unless you count the stars in their eyes
or the thunder in their laugh
or all the possibility in their hands
My daughter laid her head on my chest last night and said she couldn't hear my heart.

And I don't know if I can blame her.
Maybe she needs hearing aids, or maybe the truth hurts.
I hope she wasn't listening.


And.I.don't.know.if.I'll.ever.be.the.same.

17 comments:

  1. "I've written more midnight poems than anyone in this room
    come at me bro"

    lol. i love this. also the part about your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what else is there to say that hasn't already been said
    by Shakespeare and Mojgani
    I've written more midnight poems than anyone in this room
    come at me bro

    wow and the part about it not being too late and falling in love with language. thanks nelson (that's not sarcastic)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine you randomly yelling and slamming your hand on the desk throughout this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (i thought you were going to say "or the thunder in their thighs")

    in all seriousness though, me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes

    "My daughter laid her head on my chest last night and said she couldn't hear my heart.

    And I don't know if I can blame her.
    Maybe she needs hearing aids, or maybe the truth hurts.
    I hope she wasn't listening."

    awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always find one sentence to copy and paste as a comment and say something like wow but there were too many good ones in this.

    Damnit Nelson why do you have to be so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Call me blasphemous
    Tell me we should be reviewing MLA format
    How to write an essay
    How to write an essay
    Call me blasphemous,
    but this is your last chance to fall in love with language"

    falling in love with language yessss I never liked MLA format

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I don't know if i'll ever be the same either, but maybe that's a good thing.
    I don't know. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Maybe she needs hearing aids, or maybe the truth hurts.
    I hope she wasn't listening."

    I love love love listening to your poetry. These lines are all too good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I want you to hold hands with adjectives"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is my favorite poem of yours. or at least one of them. I have way too many favorite lines from this to quote but holy cow great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For some reason this just made sense to me. I don't even make sense to myself, but this was dope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "this is your last chance to fall in love with language."

    ReplyDelete
  14. the part about the poetry & children & then -also the scriptures. i liked those.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Call me blasphemous,
    but this is your last chance to fall in love with language."
    I like MLA just fine, but I love language even more because I still don't know it all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm mad at myself that it took me this long to find your blog but I'm so happy I did. This is all important and thank you for being a fantastic example of what writing from the heart is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And I don't know if I can blame her.
    Maybe she needs hearing aids, or maybe the truth hurts.
    I hope she wasn't listening.
    This is so good, right now I'm wishing I had taken your creative writing class as well as English 12. I probably couldn't have gotten into both as it is

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts