Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Fears



I'm afraid of everything.

Like what if after we die, that's it. Nothing. It's just over. Or even worse, what if after we die, we live forever. I mean, like, forever. Eternity. It just keeps going and going and going and going...

and going. And going. And going.

I think I need an aspirin. But only one this time.

Even though I don't understand how my heart works, I know that it beats without my help. I'm afraid that if I ignore it, one day it might stop altogether.

I'm afraid of spiders. I'm afraid of them crawling and having babies. I'm afraid of them under my covers and in the shower. Afraid of smashing them. Of smashing one of them and she's pregnant and baby spiders everywhere.

But I'm not afraid of anything. I look at myself in the mirror every morning and I'm comfortable.

My skin is just the right size

and I may not be at peace,

but it's so close I can feel it.

I'm scared of you. I'm scared of everything you'll never be and everything you could be. I'm afraid of potential, which physics taught me is the charge in an electromagnetic field, but life taught me is the root of all sadness. I'm afraid of what could have been.

I can listen to music with my eyes closed. And if I concentrate hard enough, I can predict my own heart beat. I stay up at night and wonder if this is as good as it gets.

20 comments:

  1. Once I did squish a pregnant spider. It was just awful. Seriously, everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need an aspirin. But only one this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My skin is just the right size

    and I may not be at peace,

    but it's so close I can feel it. #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  4. My skin is just the right size

    and I may not be at peace,

    but it's so close I can feel it. #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I can listen to music with my eyes closed. And if I concentrate hard enough, I can predict my own heart beat." #nelsimstealingthis

    ReplyDelete
  6. "and I may not be at peace, but it's so close I can feel it."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can predict my own heart beat

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I'm afraid of what could have been" me too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I'm afraid of what could have been" me too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I'm afraid of potential, which physics taught me is the charge in an electromagnetic field, but life taught me is the root of all sadness."
    Wow Nels. I wish I came up with that. #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I'm scared of everything you'll never be and everything you could be." #stolen
    Everyday I fear this

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I can listen to music with my eyes closed. And if I concentrate hard enough, I can predict my own heart beat. I stay up at night and wonder if this is as good as it gets."

    It gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the paragraph about potential

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I may not be at peace,

    but it's so close I can feel it."
    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your writing never gets old.
    And the eternity thing? I'm so with you on that one. SCARIEST CONCEPT EVER. It hurts my brain to even think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts