Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

A post that started about one thing but ended up being about something else.

It's all starting to blend together.

The mondays and the lessons and the blogs and the Super Bowls and the memories in the backyard and the bedtime stories and the drive homes and the pictures and the tweets and the comments and the jokes I've already used and the stories I've already told and the students' names and the faces and the feelings, oh my goodness, the feelings.

I don't think there's an app for this.

This is only my 6th year teaching and sometimes it feels like my 28th.

And sometimes it feels like my first.

I don't leave the school until after 4:30 every day and I used to think that's what made me a good teacher. Then I started hearing voices. "You need perspective, it's just a job, an A- teacher, an A- husband, a B+ father, what do you do so late?, just plan lessons?, English 12 prepares students more for college, wake up, what are you doing?, are you coaching next year?, happy friday, it's almost the weekend, it's almost Christmas, it's almost Spring Break, it's almost Summer, your family's the most important thing, nothing matters when you think of things eternally, what are you still doing here?"

I've never been more sure of anything in my life.

I don't know if I was called to be a teacher or a writer or a coach.

But I know the day doesn't end at 4pm.

3 comments:

  1. Seeing an A+ individual as yourself be so mortal, being able to view a glimpse of your conscious, makes me think I can sleep better tonight with the reassurance that the world will be okay.

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts