Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Obama and Mustaches


Obama and Mustaches  (and other things that aren't socially accepted)
by kyle nelson 

Sometimes when I'm bored I come up with lists of possible band names.
And I'm not even in a band.
And that's why I'm so mad at Zac Brown because seriously...that's the best you could come up with? It's not like all the good band names were taken. Let's see...there's:
Mullet to the Chest, Courtesy Flush, Morning Breath, The Sleepwatchers, The Matt Gowdy Project, The Gingivitis Girls, True Love and the Fallopian Tubes (just to name a few)...
But I still haven't come up with a name for how I feel about you.
The reason I love you has nothing to do with math formulas or make-up. We sit under shade trees and we could be a Ford 150 commercial if it weren't for all the muddy shoes and blue jeans.
Sometimes I wish I was the reason you had heartburn. I wish I was the future. I wish I had a reason to hold a guitar pick in my hand. I admire my skin and how it holds everything inside.
Look at us. We're all holding our cell phones in the air and we sway back and forth, even though we don't have service. Cuz baby, we're off the grid and ain't nobody gonna find us here. We're needles in haystacks, we're haystacks in Alaska. I look at you and you make me nervous. Like an ice cream sandwich. (wait...what?)
But seriously, yall. I look out beyond the spotlight and I can't help but notice that you're all a lot cuter in the dark. And I'm a lot funnier when you're drunk. And we'd all be a little bit different in an earthquake.
I love you. I love you. I love you.
I don't really know why I'm saying that, I just like the way it sounds.
I don't remember when I first said it, but I bet I was talking to my mom and I bet I meant it. I hope I get the chance to say it again before she dies.
I saw a solar eclipse last night and I wasn't impressed. Photographs still blow my mind- like we finally figured out how to stop time.
Look around you. There are fires burning everywhere! But you are unfazed. You're as calm as a dead guy's tongue. Your knees are strong and so is your heart. It's like your skin is flame-retardant. And that's cool...
I wrote this poem in my backyard but I was looking at all of you. I know that sounds creepy.
Birds and bees....they can fly too. And I don't think I'll ever stop being jealous.

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...... I read this while listening to yellow light by of monsters and men. I love your writing nelson, its just so real its unexplainable, yet makes perfect sense

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. am I the only one that thinks the sentence 'I know that sounds creepy ' breaks the rhythm maybe be omitted or modified?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where were you last summer when I performed this in front of 50 people in the dark?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I saw a solar eclipse last night and I wasn't impressed. Photographs still blow my mind- like we finally figured out how to stop time."

    Stuff like this is the reason you're teaching us, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with this. I love this quote. Love. Like <3.

      Oh and Nelson, thanks for actually taking your job seriously. Amazing teacher.

      Delete
  7. "True Love and the Fallopian Tubes"

    ROFL, nelson.

    also I read this 3 times and i think i'm going to read it again cuz i just like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was reading this for inspiration on my next post, but i've decided your writing is too unique for me to even try.
    i like this a lot

    "Photographs still blow my mind- like we finally figured out how to stop time." - my favorite line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dangit Nels....

    ps I like this.

    Kind of a lot.

    And I agree with Grace Kelly,

    "Photographs still blow my mind-like we finally figured out how to stop time." -for sure my favorite line. Maybe because I'm a photographer? I do photography? I like taking pictures....whatever man.

    So good, definitely inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "And I'm a lot funnier when you're drunk."
    This has like a million different interpretations and I love it. A drunk person will laugh at anything I say, so I'm funnier, when in fact I'm not the one being altered.

    Love your writing. It wouldn't make sense to most people. But it makes sense. If ya know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I admire my skin and how it holds everything inside."

    Oh my that's just too good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not enough words to encompass the greatness of this post. I...Nope, not even gonna try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTsqWJ4sR4M

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts