Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

everything i wish someone had told me when i was 17

i saw a young writer eating lunch by himself
a turkey sandwich lay next to his open moleskine notebook
(at least i think it was turkey)
i asked what he wanted to be when he grew up,
but he didn't answer me

because i didn't say it out loud.

i wanted to tell him everything was going to be okay
that everything our 2nd grade teachers told us was true
we are special

and even if everyone's special,
that means no one's special,
i still want to believe that i'm special, he's special, you're special, we're special

and i know i sound like an after school special,
but i want to keep these kids safe, out of trouble,
in a bubble

until it pops.

an elevator only goes up,
until it drops
inspiration moves us,
until it stops.
so while we have it,
let's make rockin' out a habit,
and act like lady gaga and just

dance.

cause actions speak louder than clothes
and amateur poetry speaks louder than prose.
i want to sell out
not for money, but for profit.

stand on top of the world and don't ever get off it
so if you're going through the motions, knock it off
if you're hurt, walk it off
to the ledge at the edge of the world
and don't let anybody talk you off
cause we're all dying

and despite everything that 2nd grade teacher told us,
she was lying
and this kid, sitting alone
eating his sandwich, writing a poem
he gets it

and i'm not saying he's better off
i'm just saying he gets it.

2 comments:

  1. I love your writing. I mean. Helloooo I'm supposed to. You're my writing teacher! But this one. This one wins. It's everything I've always wished I could portray in my writing.

    I guess that's why you're my writing teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts