Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2015

sometimes

I don't know what my dad's favorite color is and I'm starting to wonder if that even matters.

We're all sitting around the football game and a guy asks my wife, "How did you guys meet?"

My dad says, "Well, I had sex with his mother and then he was born." I was the only one who laughed.

Sometimes the funniest moments go unappreciated.

My dad stopped drinking when it was too late, but he's still alive. It was his birthday yesterday and he sent me a text at 7:38 pm.

"Thank you so much. One of the best birthdays ever!!! My favorite food, a movie and my family, it doesn't get better than that."

Sometimes there's no poetry in the truth. 

My wife asked him if he had any advice in his 61 years and he said something about following your dreams. He wanted to be a swimmer. He wanted to be a vet. He didn't become either of those things.

Sometimes the best examples are hypothetical.

So today we'll go to my sister's house for dinner. We'll order pizza from The Pie and eat cupcakes and watch football and we'll be happy. We won't think about everything that could've been. We won't listen to the voices from the past or worry about the future.

11 comments:

  1. sometimes the best examples are hypothetical

    tragic but so true

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometime's there's no poetry in the truth.

    retweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes the funniest moments go unappreciated

    and all of the other sometimes.

    yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Note to self: you found out grandpa died today and reading this post has more meaning now. Especially the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to see a post mean more after the fact, after something you never saw coming. makes me want to write every stupid thing that pops into my head.

      Delete
  6. Hi Mr. Nelson I'm not in your class but I wish I was and this made me shed a very manly tear or two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Sometimes there's no poetry in the truth." Mmmmm. Needed that.

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts