Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Son of Baconator

This is about student apathy.
This is about how I shouldn't talk about student apathy.
It doesn't help. 

The Analogy
My class is like Wendy's. 
  • Wendy's: Room 221
  • Wendy's Manager: Kyle Nelson
  • Wendy's Customer: Student
  • Son of Baconator: My lessons

Background
If you've ever had me as a teacher, you know that I often get discouraged. As my wife says, I'm not very good at hiding my feelings. If I'm excited, you'll know it. If I'm annoyed, you'll know it. I'm notorious for voicing my displeasure/inadequacy/doubts with my students. Sometimes that displeasure is with their commitment to my class. They're being tourists. Or sophomores. Or worse. Maybe it's free therapy. Maybe I'm trying to make them feel guilty. I don't know.

This is me realizing that this approach doesn't work.

Explanation
I love Wendy's. I love the Son of Baconator. Almost every one I order is perfect. Because of this, Wendy's is my go-to place. If there's a McDonald's and a Wendy's, I go to Wendy's. If there's a Burger King and a Wendy's, I got to Wendy's. You get the point.

But what if one day I stopped going? I don't know why. Maybe I'm trying to eat healthy. Maybe I'm trying to save money. Whatever. And the next time I pull through the drive-thru, Pete (the manager) comes to the window.

Pete: Hello Kyle.

Kyle: Hey.

Pete: Where you been?

Kyle: Oh. Uh. I don't know.

Pete: We haven't seen you here in a while.

Kyle: Yeah, I've been [enter reason here].

Pete: Well, that makes me feel [enter negative emotion here].

Kyle: Oh. I'm sorry. [mumbles something to himself]

Pete: I spent a lot of time making this Son of Baconator. I don't appreciate when I make something and you don't even eat the whole thing. 

Kyle: Can I just get the burger, please?

[Kyle drives away with weird feeling he didn't ask for with his burger]

Conclusion
If Wendy's bothered me about not eating there enough or made me feel guilty, I would stop going. I go there for the burgers. Not the guilt.

It's up to me whether I'm going to eat there, not them. All they can do is make good burgers.

8 comments:

  1. Nobody is right

    weird

    but I liked it and it was interesting. I do feel that way sometimes...like you hate us. or we annoy you. what gets even scarier is when is pinpointed and I (or whoever) feels like you hate THEM or are annoyed with them specifically.

    but we know you dont mean it.

    anyway, I also did my blog analysis. its "dope" like you asked for. I even figured out how to add a picture thing. so I GET CREDIT FOR MY JOURNAL LIKE YOU PROMISED.

    yeah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody is right

    weird

    but I liked it and it was interesting. I do feel that way sometimes...like you hate us. or we annoy you. what gets even scarier is when is pinpointed and I (or whoever) feels like you hate THEM or are annoyed with them specifically.

    but we know you dont mean it.

    anyway, I also did my blog analysis. its "dope" like you asked for. I even figured out how to add a picture thing. so I GET CREDIT FOR MY JOURNAL LIKE YOU PROMISED.

    yeah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really get this.

    Maybe it's the analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really get this.

    Maybe it's the analogy.

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts