Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My Utopian Classroom


 I'd be taller. Just like an inch or two. I don't know why.

We would sing and dance and rap and play games every day. There'd be sunshine (but not too much) and birds would be singing (but not too loud) and there'd be a soft breeze (very soft). My armpits would never sweat. I could wear basketball shorts every day and students would still take me seriously.

Students would take me seriously. They would hang on my every word. Like their life depended on it. Because it does. 

Every song I'd play would be perfect. Nobody would get distracted. Nobody would be offended. Nobody would need their own headphones. The music would never be too loud.

There would be no grades. No carrots. Just love. Desire. Hope. Patience. Water.

Students would love to read. And write. But not at first. Not too much. They would discover their potential in my class. Their success in school and in life would depend on my class. I want things to matter that much. 

I would be everyone's favorite teacher. But I wouldn't realize it until I was 70 and they all came back for my retirement party. A surprise party my wife put together. Even the mayor would be there. She was a struggling redhead only I could get through to. And my deaf son would finally understand me. (Okay, now I'm just describing Mr. Holland's Opus.) One day I would create an opus myself.

And they would make a movie of my life. How I gave up everything to become a teacher. How I saved the world. In the movie, I would be better looking, funnier, smarter, kinder, and the director would get it all wrong. But it would make my parents cry.

I would know every student's name. I would never forget them. They would all be worth remembering and I would have enough space in my brain for all of them. They would all invite me to their weddings, but they wouldn't actually expect me to show up.
 
Oh, and my fridge would work.

3 comments:

  1. "and there'd be a soft breeze (very soft)"

    "They would hang on my every word. Like their life depended on it." -Trust me, we do. Or at least some of us do. For me it's kind of an issue because I can't write down every word that's spoken in class and I wish I could....I don't even know man...

    "They would all be worth remembering and I would have enough space in my brain for all of them."

    ps. I also loved how you ended this, it made me laugh when you read it in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Oh, and my fridge would work."

    This was the funniest thing I had ever heard! I liked how it was kind of random compared to the rest of the post but yet it fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Oh, and my fridge would work." #stolen
    I guess it doesn't really matter if my fridge would work cuz all my mom buys is vegan crap, but if I had food to put in the fridge I would probably want it to work too.

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts