Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

a letter to billy the kid


Dear Mr. Bonney,

You probably don't know me, so let me introduce myself.

I'm 34 years old and I've never killed anybody.

I was born in July and I write poems at the dinner table.

I hope you weren't watching last Saturday when I tried to put Christmas lights on my house, Mr. Bonney. My fingers were cold and my wife had to help meI hope you weren't watching when my son asked me to kill the spider on his ceiling. Because I probably didn't look like much of a man.

I let my daughter paint my toenails and our favorite game to play together is called Snuggles.

I've read a lot about you, Mr. Bonney. So I know how young you were when you first killed someone (12)And I know how many men you've killed (21). I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared of you.

I shot a pot gut onceBonneyIt's like a squirrel, but with smaller ears. I was 14 and I used my friend Justin's gun. I turned it to the side because that's what gangsters do and I blasted that little sucker. BOOM. The bullet went straight through his chest. As he fell back, his wallet fell out of his pocket. There were pictures of his kids and a ticket stub to a 7:00 movie. I think it was his anniversary. He looked up at me, confused. His lips mouthed the words Why? and I didn't know the answer. I haven't killed anything since.

Sometimes I dance in front of the mirror, Mr. Kid. Do you ever do that?

The last movie I watched had George Clooney and Sandra Bullock in it. And I cried. Have you seen that movie, Billy?I've always wanted to go to Space Camp, but I'm afraid of heights.

Oh, Billy. I pluck my eyebrows, Billy. I trim my nosehairs.And I drive a minivanHelp me! Help me, BillyTell me what it means to be a man.

Cause my hands are too soft. They don't have dirt on them. They don't have blood on them- unless you count all the hearts I've touched. But inspiration don't make no menAnd that don't make no sense. So come on now Billy and answer me this. Can I still be a man if folks ain't scared of me? If folks ain't put no bounty on my head for 500 dollarsI don't shoot no guns, Billy. So what you saying: ain't notorious? I ain't never lived in New Mexico, but I'm still an outlaw in my heart. I'm a cowboy. And I'm wantedWANTED, dead or alive.

Sincerely,


Kyle J. Nelson, the first


p.s. That song was by Bon Jovi, I think.

p.p.sI'm not really a cowboy.

p.p.p.sWhat's heaven like? Oh wait, you're probably not there.

p.p.p.p.sI'm tired of comparing myself to you, Billy.

p.p.p.p.p.s. Write back soon.

6 comments:

  1. "I let my daughter paint my toenails and our favorite game to play together is called Snuggles."

    Probably my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :As he fell back, his wallet fell out of his pocket. There were pictures of his kids and a ticket stub to a 7:00 movie. I think it was his anniversary. He looked up at me, confused. His lips mouthed the words Why? and I didn't know the answer. I haven't killed anything since."

    #tothepoint #buhduhbuhbahbuhI'mlovinit

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never fail to impress me Nelson. I loved the part about the pot gut. Not that you killed it cuz I hate hunting, but how you turned it into an individual with a family and a life.

    This post just got me thinking about my life. "I'm still an outlaw in my heart"

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But inspiration don't make no men. And that don't make no sense."

    I can't seem to shake the feeling you are my biggest inspiration still.
    *fangirl scream.

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts