Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?


It didn't seem possible. People don't build houses with their bare hands. But I've seen the photographs. I've heard the stories.

In 1981, my parents built a house out of bricks. They put in carpet and painted the walls. My sister and I each had our own room. The basement was always cold and the backyard was fenced in.

Good times, noodle salad.

Endless Love by Diana Ross & Lionel Richie was #2 on the charts.

But nothing lasts forever and these days everyone's pictures are digital. Things can be erased. It could take years, it could take seconds. My black cat was hit by a car in the street across from my house. I didn't find out for two months. My mom knew all along, but she let me think maybe he just ran away and would make his way back one day.

He never came home.

I have summer memories made out of sticks. The songs in our home videos are made out of straw. Somewhere in the basement, I wrote my name on the wall. But someone else lives there now. And everything seems to have floated away.

What was I supposed to do? I loved the Big Bad Wolf, and he loved me.

11 comments:

  1. That last little bit got me, I think this is beautiful.
    "The songs in our home videos are made out of straw"
    "What was I supposed to do? I loved the Big Bad Wolf, and he loved me."
    Hashtag stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful.
    By the way, everything is not exactly okay . Or, maybe everything is just going in a new direction. I have to talk to you Monday morning. Life is... changing. And I'm scared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The imagery you bring to your writing makes it so easy to connect

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good times, noodle salad.

    I'm feeling all melancholy and memory-filled and it's eating me. I don't know why I find myself here with my first college mid-term tomorrow.. oh, today. 12:36 in the morning. I found myself here.
    You're eating me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "But nothing lasts forever and these days everyone's pictures are digital."
    #stolen
    Also, don't they make things digital so that they DO last forever?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My black cat was hit by a car in the street across from my house

    #Stolen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This should be a writing prompt or something. This girl's a genius.
    http://weforgottowhisper.blogspot.com/2013/10/uglywhitebackgroundonthelastpost-ugh.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. "But nothing lasts forever and these days everyone's pictures are digital. Things can be erased. It could take years, it could take seconds."
    -#stolen
    Loved this...your amazing nels

    ReplyDelete
  9. the last part's my favorite. Before our basement was finished we painted ourselves and our names on the walls, and I'd forgotten til now. Beautiful words that make us think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. good times, noodle salad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to write some intense comment for this, but you leave me with no words... This post is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts