Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

bereft




I miss something and I can't remember what it is. Or when I saw it last. Or if it remembers me.

Maybe dementia is just around the corner.

I thought I saw my childhood the other day, but it didn't recognize me. The eye contact we made was awkward, and I don't know if we'll ever see each other again.

It was the happiest I've been in a while.

It made me want to call my brother late Sunday night and talk about the good old days. When we sat outside with our shirts off and the music on. We forgot the bad times and how the grass made our backs itch. Mom yelled out the front door that it was time to come in. But the sun was the only one who could ever control us.  

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but somehow a photograph is worth more. It's worth everything in your memory and everything in your pockets.

But we spent it all, Jack. We spent it all.

Please write soon.

7 comments:

  1. Are we allowed to steal from you, because I just did.

    "I thought I saw my childhood the other day, but it didn't recognize me. The eye contact we made was awkward, and I don't know if we'll ever see each other again."
    This is the quote on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of in love with this post....like a lot.

    "I miss something and I can't remember what it is. Or when I saw it last. Or if it remembers me."

    "I thought I saw my childhood the other day, but it didn't recognize me. The eye contact we made was awkward, and I don't know if we'll ever see each other again."

    "But the sun was the only one who could ever control us."

    These were my favorite lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Posted a line from this as a quote on my blog.. Hope you don't mind, Nels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was the happiest I've been in a while. #simplywritten

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I miss something and I can't remember what it is."

    Honestly, this made me tear up a little. I've felt this way for a really, really long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bittersweet and lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts