Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I still remember


I still remember the smell. She sprayed her letters with perfume and it made me miss her even more.

I remember my old house. I remember the hill in the backyard. How we used to set up the slip-n-slide so it'd go under the trampoline. I remember trying to mow the lawn but then watching my mom do it. I remember my dad coming over to pick me up on Saturday mornings.

I remember my sister's hair. It was so dark and so thick. I remember her music in the morning when she got ready. I remember dancing at her wedding. I remember us being close. I don't remember the last time I told her I love her.

I remember that trip to lagoon. The one where he got his last DUI. The one where he asked me if I had any gum and I didn't. I remember the cop asking him to get out of the car. I remember watching him get taken away in handcuffs. I have some gum now, but it's too late.

I remember peeing the bed. So warm.


I remember having to see a speech therapist. I remember eating spoonfuls of sugar. There was no medicine, just sugar. I remember pretending to be asleep so my dad would carry me inside. I remember sleepouts on the tramp. And bunkbeds. And sunsets before anyone ever worried about taking pictures of them.

I remember the sunset wallpaper in my kitchen. I remember the extra long phone cord and the record player. I remember listening to Michael Jackson's Thriller with the lights out and the panic. I remember getting the wind knocked out of me and wondering if I would ever breathe again.

I remember not wearing a shirt and not caring. I remember going outside to play. I remember throwing rocks at Josh. I remember the funeral. Waiting in line. How tan he looked. I remember how empty everyone's eyes were.

I remember yelling at my son last night. I remember the look on his face as I turned out the light. I remember drinking a Pepsi and falling asleep on the couch. I wonder how much we'll all forget.

13 comments:

  1. I am stealing "I remember sunsets before anyone ever worried about taking pictures of them.". This was like... I don't know, like a slap in the face to me because I've always thought about this and how people are ruining sunsets but I have never really put it in words..

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I remember pretending to be asleep so my dad would carry me inside."

    Stealing this. I just... don't know what to say. As I was reading this, I was listening to Landon Pigg's "Young At Heart." And it was... perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. speech therapy...it was the worst. at least they gave me suckers

    ReplyDelete
  4. speech therapy...it was the worst. at least they gave me suckers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had speech therapy also. Couldn't say my R's "Wodney Wat"

    ReplyDelete
  6. the wabbit wan awound the refwidgewatow

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember peeing the bed. so warm.
    also
    I have some gum now, but it's too late.
    stolen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember pretending to be asleep so my dad would carry me inside.

    Stole it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apparently lots of people can't say the letter r. When I was younger I remember my parents always making me say "The dread pirate roberts rides roller coasters." Rude.

    I'm stealing "I remember her music in the morning when she got ready." I like what a little thing that is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to go to speech therapy too... but it was only because i wouldn't pull my thumb out of my mouth so my teacher thought i had a speech impediment....

    ReplyDelete
  11. The part about your dad, and the part about sunsets...I got cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I pretended to be asleep so my dad would carry me places too. I could never get away with it because I'd start smiling.

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts