Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2016

10 thoughts on being fully alive


1. Okay, so everyone's technically alive. Except for all the people who have died already. But even some people who are alive aren't really alive.

2. Some people are cowards. They don't dance, they don't raise their hands, they don't tell people they love that they love them.

3. It's possible to be shy and still be alive.

4. Do scary things. (I'm not talking about drugs or jumping off cliffs. I'm talking about love and poetry and goosebumps and talent shows.)

5. Be aware that you're dying.

6. Make mistakes and take risks and make more mistakes. If you know how it's going to turn out then it's not really a risk, is it?

7. Be reckless. With your status, not your body. With your pride, not other people's hearts. With the rules, not the law.

8. Art.

9. Try not to be a phony. I mean, we're all fake sometimes. But if you're fake as often as you're asleep, that's a problem.

10. Sit at the kids' table.

9 comments:

  1. Be reckless. With your status, not your body. With your pride, not other people's hearts. With the rules, not the law.

    nelson you're such a wise old man

    also "they don't dance" we all need to dance. when i'm in charge of the prompt next we are all doing a big hecking dance party i don't even care

    number ten is an always

    you're just great

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Be aware that you're dying."

    Makes me think of the quote, "if you live every day like it's your last, one day it will be."
    Being alive doesn't require life threatening situations or grand adventures, but anything that gives you a rush of emotion.

    Love and poetry and goosebumps and talent shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read #2 and immediately thought of myself. sorry.

    I'll try to be more alive in class

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nelson, I just posted something really vulnerable and real on my blog and I'm terrified. I wanna take it down almost but my computer is dead and I can't make my phone work so I guess that's a sign... Probably not but whatever. I'm scared of being vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 and 3 are so important together. And 6 inspires me. Oh and 9 put it pretty brilliantly.

    I feel like a lot of things out there have nice principles to improving life and really "living", but in the end they just sound good. I like how this doesn't go overboard with "rules" to being alive, it gets the real point across honestly and actually helps because of that.

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts