Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

all the places we've lived

We grew up in the same city and maybe it was all meant to be. 
Maybe we're working off the same treasure map. 
Maybe we found the same cheat codes.

You grew up on Hathaway and I've been chasing you ever since.

You were the Presidential Suite, you were the bend in the road, the phantom that I drove past four times before I finally found. 

We've lived here for 14 years now, so I don't know how I could ever get lost.
Thank you for leaving the light on for me just in case.
We used to live on Riverside Drive, but it felt like it was main street. Home has always felt like main street.

I see you in every place, every city, every town.
Your map is written in braille - I can see it with my eyes closed.

A west side soul with Sandy hair
South Jordan hands and Lehi strength
But Rachel, dude, you have Taylorsville in your eyes. A West Jordan face with a K-Town booty.
Sure, I can still smell Ephraim smoke on your clothes
It's on all of our clothes
And your lips will always be Salt Lake.

We're surrounded by mink farms, but I can't smell anything. They say love is blind, we must have anosmia. Because our love is the shit.

Believe me, we've paid our H.O.A. dues.
we're done walking to zoos
We don't leave open our garage door
and our cat doesn't bring us dead birds anymore

See, Riverside was lonely. And Hathaway wasn't.
Sunnyside was cloudy and we could smell Asian food through the cinder block walls. 
We discovered new planets. 
We discovered new worlds.
But when we landed on Plymouth Rock, the foundation broke,
and the planes were so loud on Brittany Park that we thought they were going to land on our roof.

You are the road ahead and you're everything in my rear view mirror.
Your lip gloss tastes like 1999 and your laugh sounds like the future.
I keep putting my stuff in the back of moving vans, but my heart's always been in your hands.
 
I took a virtual tour of our future - it's full of light and unfinished basements.
Room to grow, room to grow.

We're as bright as the reception center lights ever were.

5 comments:

  1. Kyle Nelson you are so rad. This post is so good and your wife has to love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Your map is written in braille - I can see it with my eyes closed." Can we steal your lines? Eh, oh well. #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You are the road ahead and you're everything in my rear view mirror."

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Your lipgloss tastes like 1999 and your laugh sounds like the future"

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts