Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

High School Love

For every high school couple I see that warms my heart, there are 10 that make me want to vomit. Like straight up - into the toilet - out the nose too - VOMIT.

Because they make me sick (like Strawberry Quik).

Holding hands instead of textbooks
Walking through the halls like they're on sandy beaches in Mexico
Like teenage love is gonna last forever
Like forever?
Forever ever, forever ever?
Like, we all know it ain't lasting till the end of the week

Because I heard from Bobby's cousin Ronnie that she didn't even want to go with him in the first place and did you hear what Katie said yesterday in the car unh unh unh oh no he didn't! Say what? He said what? 

And every day - all day - in every single hallway

Their sweaty fingers interlocked like the zippers on their backpacks or the braces on their teeth
sometimes they kiss outside my classroom and the braces on their teeth
cheetos and sugar free chocolate chip cookies everywhere
thanks Michelle Obama
the braces on their teeth, the braces on their teeth
HELP ME RHONDA

Maybe this Saturday we should have a benefit concert for PATIENCE
We need to raise awareness

Because these gangly teenagers with pointy elbows and malnutritioned hearts think they need to grow up and buy promise rings and anniversary presents when little do they know that they have the rest of their lives to turn into their parents.

And really, I'm just afraid you'll turn out like my parents.  Divorced at 33 with two kids. Two kids who met in high school. Divorced at 33 with two kids. Paying the light bill with monopoly money and signing all their checks with crayons.

We'll never be younger than we were yesterday
and why don't they make iPhone apps for do-overs?

Can't we just kiss without holding hands?

Can't I call you bae without having to change my Facebook status?

I mean, no disrespect, it's not just about getting busy or claiming land or breaking hearts. We're talking about practice. Not a game, not a game, not a game. We talking about practice.

You need more time to work on your crossover. This is your coach telling you to get on the line. No more one-on-one. We're playing zone. So move your feet and get your hands up.

16 comments:

  1. "Paying the light bill with monopoly money"
    Wow, when this started, I thought it would just be a gushy-love-hate-poem, but it ended on a HIGH.
    Also, I saw the We See You video and it made my heart go crazy. What a statement to make, Lone Peak High School.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesssss you finally posted this.

    "We're playing zone."

    So freakin dope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We'll never be younger than we were yesterday." Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES FINALLY

    this is so good *snaps* *snaps*

    ReplyDelete
  5. "HELP NE RHONDA" :) also I got the Allen Iverson quote

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU POSTED IT AND I LITERALLY COULDN'T BE HAPPIER RIGHT NOW SO YES ALL CAPS IS THE ONLY WAY TO EXPRESS MYSELF AT THIS MOMENT.

    snaps for this all

    ReplyDelete
  7. So move your feet and get your hands up. good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha hearing this in real life was so good

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is hands down my favorite post of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So *quote of the entire serving half* wow. Seriously amazing.

    Seriously so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I laughed ridiculously, seriously, mentally-hard at "Paying the light bill with monopoly money and signing all their checks with crayons." which was probably inappropriate, but like, I don't care?
    Because I'm totally signing checks with crayons and I hate paying my light bill and my monopoly board is missing and I can't find it and just, I laughed.
    Okay?
    This was good. #same

    ReplyDelete
  12. "can't we just kiss without holding hands?"

    i've learned to kiss without holding hands. it doesn't feel like much, but not feeling anything in a kiss is a lot better than feeling the whole world crash in on your chest when they finally break away.

    i'm rambling.

    great piece kyle.

    (and this may even be one of your greatest pieces)

    ReplyDelete
  13. "It's not just about getting busy or claiming land or breaking hearts. We're talking about practice. Not a game, not a game, not a game. We talking about practice."

    YES
    YES
    YES.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Because these gangly teenagers with pointy elbows and malnutritioned hearts think they need to grow up and buy promise rings and anniversary presents when little do they know that they have the rest of their lives to turn into their parents."
    Freak Nelson! Amen!

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts