Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

distractions

I write poems when I don't have words for how I feel. And I need poetry now more than ever.

We stare at Google Earth on our computers, but we don't see the world clearly. It keeps turning and turning and downtown there are crazy people everywhere. Crazy people with no monthly payments, talking to themselves on street corners. Crazy people who've never been to a psychiatrist. I'm sure there's desperation in their eyes, but I'm always too afraid to look. 

My contacts are burning right now anyway.

The bell is ringing, but I'm sitting in my living room and my kids are asleep upstairs. The bell is ringing, but class doesn't start for 10 hours. Maybe they messed up Daylight Savings Time. Maybe we're trying to turn the clocks back to see what else we could've saved.   Maybe they never really could save time or daylight or anything.

I'm down to 8% battery on this laptop, and that's how life feels sometimes. But I promise, I swear, the plug is in the next room. I know it is.

My daughter asked why all the horses were getting rained on and I didn't have an answer. My wife said something about the barn being locked, but I was too busy trying to listen to the score of the Steelers game. We all need distractions to keep us happy.

Now that one season's over, I just need another distraction. The leaves keep falling and it's not winter yet, but it feels like it. We've been breathing in and out for months, but only now can you actually see our breath.

5 comments:

  1. This was something else. I really liked the part about the 8% battery on your laptop because it's just true and there is desperation in the statement but also a little bit of hope. I also really liked this line " I'm sure there's desperation in their eyes, but I'm always too afraid to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Jane. Basically how I felt about this. We all just need another distraction. I like this post, a lot.

      Delete
  2. "I'm down to 8% battery on this laptop, and that's how life feels sometimes. But I promise, I swear, the plug is in the next room. I know it is" and the last line.
    This was comforting and needed. Thank you. Distractions are what's best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My daughter asked why all the horses were getting rained on and I didn't have an answer. My wife said something about the barn being locked, but I was too busy trying to listen to the score of the Steelers game"

    Master.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Maybe we're trying to turn the clocks back to see what else we could've saved."
    This broke me. I read it. and cried. and just sat still, frozen on perfectly crafted emotion.

    and that closing line. Incredible, Nelson. And you know this was much needed among students right now, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts