Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The trouble with being around teenagers all day


I woke up one day and I was 30.

My back hurt and my knees starting telling me when storms were near. I thought yogurt was a good idea and I started eating soup even when I wasn't sick. I had conversations about backyards and 401k's and the kid's table was something in the other room. Adolescence was in the mirror, but it wasn't any closer than it appeared.

Now I am mostly at the window watching the late afternoon light.*

No matter how many stretches we do or songs we download, we will eventually turn into our parents. And one day we'll look at a photograph and see our legs the way they really look.


*(Line taken from On Turning Ten by Billy Collins)

7 comments:

  1. "No matter how many stretches we do or songs we download, we will eventually turn into our parents."
    Worst fear, but for very odd reasons.

    "And one day we'll look at a photograph and see our legs the way they really look."
    I dunno, but it's my favorite line. I'll probably be stealing it, just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soup and I'm far from thirty. Maybe I have an old soul...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I become more like my mom everyday. And it is very scary. Very scary indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "No matter how many stretches we do or songs we download, we will eventually turn into our parents." No.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The more I comment on posts, the more I turn into my dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fascinated by this.

      What does this mean? (I think I'll ask you on your blog, since that's where you'll more likely see it...)

      Delete

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Popular Posts

Top 5 Movies (I can't count)

  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • As Good As It Gets
  • The Fighter
  • Juno
  • *High Fidelity
  • *Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • *O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • *Adaptation
  • Recent Nominee: Warrior
  • Recent Nominee: Silver Linings Playbook

Random Posts

Newsletter

Popular Posts